Wednesday, August 24, 2016

Vinegar Girl by Anne Tyler--Blogging for Books Review

Hello! I just finished reading (or rather almost finished reading) Vinegar Girl by Anne Tyler. When I chose this book, I honestly was not sure what to expect, but I was excited to read it. So you might be wondering why I didn't finish reading it, but we'll get to that later.


This book is a retelling of Shakespeare's The Taming of the Shrew. The story is about a young woman named Kate who basically runs the house for her father and younger sister. Kate's father, Dr. Battista,  is a scientist who is close to achieving a breakthrough that could help millions of people. Dr. Battista has a lab assistant named Pyotr who is about to be deported. If he is deported then all of their work could get lost. So Dr. Battista makes up a plan to try and get Pyotr to stay in the country. Of course, he asks Kate for help.

My Review: Sadly, I was unable to finish the book. The first few chapters were ok, but the book just didn't catch my attention at all. Also as I read the book, everything just seemed so predictable. For instance, when I read the blurb, I immediately knew what the plan was going to be. Also the characters just weren't great in my opinion. Kate is supposed to be very intelligent, but a lot of the choices that she made just didn't seem smart at all. She also seemed a bit immature and clingy. Pyotr was super rude. Kate's sister, Bunny, is pretty, but snobby. Dr. Battista literally did not seem to care at all about anything except his research and his plan was just incredibly horrible. If you haven't figured out what the plan is then check out the book and let me know what you think.

Overall, I will give the book a two star rating because the first few chapters were ok.

Have you read Vinegar Girl? If so, what are your thoughts on the book?

Thanks for visiting!

Until next time...

I received this book from Blogging for Books in exchange for this review. All opinions expressed here are my own.

No comments

Post a Comment